Ubuntu 12.04 and ath9k

Wireless is traditionally troublesome on Linux. The other day I transferred a lot of data over my wifi. After iwlwifi is finally stable for Intel devices using wicd, ath9k for Atheros wasn’t. It nearly passed out a couple of times leaving me with unusable connection speed.

I’m still testing if the culprit is hardware encryption or maybe power saving. For now I disabled hardware encryption with

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf

adding

options ath9k nohwcrypt=1

and rebooting.

No further problems until now.

10 Responses to “Ubuntu 12.04 and ath9k”

1. Paulo says:

Hi there,

I will also test your solution on my laptop.

2. Alex says:

Works like a charm. I’ve been running with an older USB wireless adaptor but now I can fully enjoy the Atheros built-in wireless. Thank you for this great fix!

3. Walter says:

Zenbook UX31 and Atheroscard is a pain in the ass!
    This fix does not work at all unfortunately. No networks shown.

4. stefan says:

you are my hero. i spent two nightshifts over this, mostly changing iwlagn.conf back and forth, while browsing the forums (at ridiculously slow speed) without succes. ah, the joys of getting to know my machine… thanks!

5. javi says:

Hi all,
    I continue with that problem after test this solution.
    I have slow dowload/upload internet connectivity and my last solution was to upgrade ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10 but nothing changed in the speed connection. (Too Slow)
    I was searching for other solutions but nothing with real changes…..

6. javi says:

Excuse me, I have Atheros AR9485 with ath9k and the wifi is from TP-Link wn781nd

7. Javier says:

Hi Adrian, I tried with the kernel solution but same problem with download connection, however upload connection was better uploading compat wireless to the last version,
    Thanks in advance,

8. mike says:

hey so I am a super noob and I don’t know how to “add” the second line. Can someone walk me thru this step by step?

9. Davide Pozzi says:

Great solution, after two days of backporting with no resalts !

Thanks a lot.